PHASE I – TREATMENT WITH HEADGEAR
One of the ways we are going to move your jaws and teeth is through the use of an appliance called a headgear. The headgear helps us move your teeth in a way that braces alone cannot. We can help redirect jaw growth by using the headgear. The headgear uses the back of the neck or the back of the head to provide force to the teeth to help create a beautiful smile. Some common uses of the headgear are to move the teeth back to create more space, to anchor molars during treatment, to bring the upper teeth and jaw forward, or to lift and hold the upper front teeth in order to open a deep bite. Depending on the type of headgear you are wearing, your headgear will either fit in tubes on the molar bands, attach to an expander appliance, or hook to the archwire. The headgear is a removable appliance that is usually worn during the evening and nighttime hours. Your treatment time can be reduced by wearing your headgear as much as you can.
PHASE II – TREATMENT WITH HEADGEAR
When braces are in place your headgear is used in many ways to redirect jaw growth:
- To move the upper molars back to help align them with the lower molars.
- To hold the upper molars back while the upper front teeth are moved back into position.
WHEN YOU WEAR YOUR HEADGEAR:
- Do not wear your headgear to school, work or during active sports.
- Try to wear your headgear at least 8 hours each day (unless otherwise instructed).
- Consistent daily use is essential to achieve success in treatment.
- Never wear your headgear while rough housing.
WHEN WEARING YOUR HEADGEAR YOU MAY EXPECT:
- To feel some pressure when the neck strap is attached to the facebow and relief of the pressure when the strap is detached.
- The molars to ache and be slightly loose as teeth movement occurs.
- The band the headgear fits into may become loose. If this happens, please call our office for an appointment to have your band re-cemented.
AT EACH APPOINTMENT IN OUR OFFICE:
- Bring your headgear so we can check and adjust.
- We will measure the space the headgear is creating and can tell from this how well the headgear is being worn.
- How well you wear your headgear determines how fast you can stop wearing your headgear.